I have safely used Zoloft (sertraline) in patients with chronic kidney disease. This should be evaluated by your physician to determine if it is safe in your particular case. Each person is unique and needs to be evaluated with knowledge of your complete medical history.
Can Zoloft cause kidney problems?
For people with kidney problems: If you have kidney problems or a history of kidney disease, you may not be able to clear this drug from your body well. This may increase the levels of this drug in your body and cause more side effects. This drug may also decrease your kidney function, making your kidney disease worse.
Which antidepressant is safe in kidney disease?
|Medication class and dosing in normal eGFR||Dosing in CKD and ESRD|
|Citalopram 20–40 mg/day, single dose||Initial dose 10 mg/day; active metabolite. Not recommended for eGFR <20 ml/min|
|Escitalopram 10–20 mg/day, single dose||Use with caution in severe renal impairment|
|Dopamine/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors|
Are antidepressants hard on kidneys?
A: Any medication, if taken without consultation with your physician, can cause kidney damage. It is frequently combinations of medication, both prescribed and over the counter that cause kidney damage.
What are the worst side effects of Zoloft?
Tell your doctor if you have serious side effects of Zoloft including:
- very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, feeling like you might pass out;
- agitation, hallucinations, fever, overactive reflexes, tremors;
What medications should be avoided with kidney disease?
What medications to avoid with kidney disease
- Pain medications also known as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) …
- Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) …
- Cholesterol medications (statins) …
- Antibiotic medications. …
- Diabetes medications. …
- Antacids. …
- Herbal supplements and vitamins. …
- Contrast dye.
What are the side effects of Zoloft?
What Are The Possible Side Effects Of Sertraline?
- Headache, nausea, diarrhea, dry mouth, increased sweating.
- Feeling nervous, restless, fatigued, sleepy or having trouble sleeping (insomnia)
What are the side effects of sertraline?
Sertraline may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep.
- dry mouth.
- loss of appetite.
Is Paxil safe for kidneys?
Paroxetine (applies to Paxil) renal dysfunction
Therapy with paroxetine should be administered cautiously in patients with renal impairment. A reduction in the daily dosage is recommended if renal function is severely impaired.
What medications can harm kidneys?
Many medicines can cause acute kidney injury (acute renal failure), such as:
- Antibiotics. …
- Some blood pressure medicines. …
- Medicines used for cancer treatment (chemotherapy). …
- Dyes (contrast media). …
- Illegal drugs. …
- Medicines used to treat HIV. …
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. …
- Ulcer medicines.
What medications help kidney function?
Commonly Prescribed Drugs for Kidney Disease
- Co-trimoxazole. About your medicine. …
- Isoniazid. About your medicine. …
- Azathioprine. About your medicine. …
- Prednisolone. About your medicine. …
- Cyclophosphamide. About your medicine. …
- Ciclosporin. About your medicine. …
- Mycophenolate. About your medicine. …
- Sirolimus. About your medicine.
Are there any new treatments for kidney failure?
Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Farxiga (dapagliflozin) oral tablets to reduce the risk of kidney function decline, kidney failure, cardiovascular death and hospitalization for heart failure in adults with chronic kidney disease who are at risk of disease progression.
Why is Zoloft bad for you?
Taking Zoloft may put you at risk for a rare, possibly life-threatening condition called serotonin syndrome. This risk is higher if you are also taking other serotonin-related medications like triptans (a common migraine medication), tricyclic antidepressants, or the pain medication Ultram (tramadol).
Is there a natural alternative to Zoloft?
Other Zoloft alternatives for anxiety and depression treatments include targeted nutritional supplements and herbal remedies, such as valerian,16 kava,32 vitamin B12,24 chlorella,33 amino acids.
What should you not take with Zoloft?
Avoid taking MAO inhibitors (isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue, moclobemide, phenelzine, procarbazine, rasagiline, safinamide, selegiline, tranylcypromine) during treatment with this medication. Most MAO inhibitors should also not be taken for two weeks before and after treatment with this medication.