People with a history of addiction may benefit from taking anxiety medications that don’t have addictive properties. SSRIs, SNRIs, buspirone, beta-blockers, pregabalin, gabapentin, hydroxyzine, PanX and diphenhydramine are all options for anxiety that are alternatives to addictive benzodiazepines.
What are the top 5 medications for anxiety?
Which Antidepressants Are Used for Anxiety?
- Prozac or Sarafem (fluoxetine)
- Celexa (citalopram)
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- Paxil, Paxeva, or Brisdelle (paroxetine)
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
What is a drug that calms you down?
Benzodiazepines most commonly used to treat anxiety disorders are clonazepam (Rivotril)*, alprazolam (Xanax) and lorazepam (Ativan). Also used are bromazepam (Lectopam), oxazepam (Serax), chlordiazepoxide (once marketed as Librium), clorazepate (Tranxene) and diazepam (Valium).
What is the 3 3 3 rule for anxiety?
Follow the 3-3-3 rule.
Look around you and name three things you see. Then, name three sounds you hear. Finally, move three parts of your body — your ankle, fingers, or arm.
What is the first drug of choice for anxiety?
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are currently considered the first-line medication for most forms of anxiety.
What is the best and safest anti anxiety medication?
As of this writing, some of the anxiety medications with the fewest reported side effects and least risk of side effects include:
- Most Benzodiazepines (Xanax, Valium)
- Bupropion (Wellbutrin)
- Citalopram (Celexa – SSRI)
- Paroxetine (Paxil – SSRI)
How do I train my brain to stop anxiety?
8 Successful Mental Habits to Defeat Fear, Worry, and Anxiety
- Don’t figure things out by yourself. …
- Be real with how you feel. …
- Be OK with some things being out of your control. …
- Practice self-care. …
- Be conscious of your intentions. …
- Focus on positive thoughts. …
- Practice mindfulness.
How do I get rid of anxiety forever?
21 Anxiety Busters
- Start deep-breathing. If you’re not focused on how to calm your body through slow, intentional belly-breathing, you’re missing out. …
- Practice self-care.
- Eliminate soda.
- Trim the fat from your budget.
- Get rid of the clutter.
- Plan a day trip.
- Go to bed early.
How can I reduce anxiety immediately?
How to calm down quickly
- Breathe. One of the best things you can do when you start to feel that familiar panicky feeling is to breathe. …
- Name what you’re feeling. …
- Try the 5-4-3-2-1 coping technique. …
- Try the “File It” mind exercise. …
- Run. …
- Think about something funny. …
- Distract yourself. …
- Take a cold shower (or an ice plunge)
What are the top 10 anxiety medications?
Types of anxiety medication
- citalopram (Celexa)
- escitalopram (Lexapro)
- fluoxetine (Prozac)
- fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- sertraline (Zoloft)
Is Zoloft better than Paxil?
In a randomized, double-blind study comparing the two drugs for the treatment of panic disorder, Paxil and Zoloft were found to be equally effective; however, Zoloft was slightly better tolerated, and patients did better when discontinuing the drug.
Is Zoloft good for anxiety?
Few studies directly compare Zoloft and Prozac in treating anxiety. However, they appear to be equally effective in improving anxiety in studies involving depression. One study that compared the 2 for treatment of major depression found that the drugs both improved symptoms in patients, including anxiety.