Peripheral edema induced by gabapentin has been reported to have an incidence of 2% to 8%. 4,8,9 It is generally considered to be dose related and more common in the geriatric patient population as reported by a pooled analysis of adverse effects from 3 clinical trials of gabapentin utilized for postherpetic neuralgia.
Does gabapentin cause edema in legs?
Gabapentin is known to cause lower leg swelling. In studies on patients with shingles, swelling appeared in 8% of the patients taking gabapentin.
Does gabapentin cause fluid retention?
Gabapentin (Neurontin) is a medication that’s FDA-approved to treat seizures and postherpetic neuralgia, which is a specific type of nerve pain. Although they’re not common side effects, gabapentin has been reported to potentially cause weight gain and fluid buildup in the legs (edema).
What medications can cause peripheral edema?
Many medicines can cause edema, including:
- NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen and naproxen)
- Calcium channel blockers.
- Corticosteroids (like prednisone and methylprednisolone)
- Pioglitazone and rosiglitazone.
Which drug is most likely to cause peripheral edema?
The drugs most frequently associated with this adverse effect are the dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers —nifedipine, felodipine, and amlodipine. Pioglitazone very commonly causes peripheral edema.
Can gabapentin cause my ankles to swell?
Patients taking Neurontin may experience swelling in the feet and ankles. The presence of lower leg swelling may cause discomfort and impair walking.
What is the most common side effect of gabapentin?
Dizziness and drowsiness are common gabapentin side effects. Weight gain and uncoordinated movement are possible side effects.
What are the worst side effects of gabapentin?
Serious side effects
- violent behavior, aggressiveness, or anger.
- anxiousness or restlessness.
- anxiety that is new or worse.
- depression that is new or worse.
- irritability that is new or worse.
- panic attacks.
- suicidal thoughts or behavior.
What are the long term effects of taking gabapentin?
According to researchers, long-term use of gabapentin — a nonopioid pain medication — among older adults may cause altered mental status, dizziness, drowsiness and renal dysfunction, and it could also lead to polypharmacy, which in itself can lead to adverse events and hospital stays.
Edema is swelling caused by excess fluid trapped in your body’s tissues. Although edema can affect any part of your body, you may notice it more in your hands, arms, feet, ankles and legs.
Can gabapentin help numbness in feet?
Kathy A: Neurontin 300mg TID and cutting Velcade to 50% dosage has helped greatly. Just a little annoying numbness in toes now.
How do I get rid of fluid in my legs and feet?
- Movement. Moving and using the muscles in the part of your body affected by edema, especially your legs, may help pump the excess fluid back toward your heart. …
- Elevation. …
- Massage. …
- Compression. …
- Protection. …
- Reduce salt intake.
Will drinking more water help with edema?
Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day
Though it might seem counterintuitive, getting enough fluids actually helps reduce swelling. When your body isn’t hydrated enough, it holds onto the fluid it does have. This contributes to swelling.
How is peripheral edema treated?
How’s it treated?
- Elevate your legs (or arms) above the level of your heart a few times a day. …
- Exercise. …
- If you have to sit or stand a lot, take breaks to move around.
- Wear compression stockings on the affected legs if your doctor recommends this.
- Reduce your intake of salt.
How do you reduce swelling in ankles due to medication?
Examples of some treatment options include: keeping the legs raised to improve blood flow. wearing compression stockings to reduce swelling. taking medications, such as aspirin.